What we offer
We provide legal support and services to the Council as a whole (and to some external bodies), advising and assisting it in relation to its statutory functions. Areas in which we provide a legal service for the Local Education Authority include:
- Nuisance and disturbances on school premises;
- Contract disputes;
- Land and property related issues;
- Corporate parenting and safeguarding issues;
- Debt recovery issues;
- Employment/Personnel disputes and issues;
- Special educational needs;
- Advising and updating the LEA upon changes in legislation and implementation in practice;
- Non-school attendance and employment of children issues;
- Requests for disclosure within court proceedings;
- Information law (in liaison with the Information Governance team);
- Negligence claims (in liaison with the Insurance team).
Expertise is available within the team which covers most legal subjects. Non strategic areas in which schools may wish to seek advice from Legal Services include:
- Questions of parental responsibilities and rights;
- Problems with contracts, such as photocopier lease and service agreements;
- Trespass and trespassers;
- Debt collection;
- Property issues, such as the letting of school buildings.
Why choose us?
Our lawyers are ideally placed to advise Telford and Wrekin schools as they have direct knowledge of the work carried out in schools and understand the challenges and changes facing the Council as a whole and schools within its area.
Also, Legal Services is accredited with the Law Society’s practice management standard, Lexcel.