One in eight pupils in Telford & Wrekin schools speaks a language other than English at home, with over 90 languages spoken. The proportion of EAL pupils in the borough has doubled in the past ten years, and the number of languages has tripled. Schools work with MDT to develop their practice in meeting the specific needs of EAL pupils, in particular those recently arrived from overseas.
What we offer
We are a small team of EAL Advisory Teachers and bilingual EAL Teaching Assistants, working with schools and Early Years settings across Telford & Wrekin and Shropshire.
We provide specialist EAL assessment and teaching, and bilingual TA support.
We also offer training, support and guidance for schools and Early Years settings in EAL, equalities and diversity.
We deliver termly updates for EAL co-ordinators via the EAL Network.
We also deliver modules on EAL, Equalities and Diversity for initial teacher training providers.
Why choose us?
- Up-to-date knowledge of best practice in EAL locally and nationally.
- A wealth of experience of working in schools and early years settings of all kinds across Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire and beyond. Over the years we have built up strong long-term working relationships with a large number of education providers;
- A wide knowledge of the cultural and linguistic backgrounds of minority ethnic and bilingual pupils;
- Expertise in assessing the language skills of pupils learning EAL and providing appropriate advice to school staff;
- Expertise in facilitating communication between schools / settings and families;
- Knowledge of local school contexts that helps us to tailor our teaching, training and consultancy programmes to suit the needs of our audiences;
Schools, Multi-Academy Trusts and Early Years settings are invited to buy in a package of EAL Advisory Teacher hours, which can be used for training, consultancy, assessment and teaching. Packages also include discounted rates for Teaching Assistant support, discounted places on centrally held training courses and membership of the EAL Network. Please see our section of the website or contact the team for further details.